How does a Member Utility enter Positive Response through Indiana 811’s system for their locate requests?
There are two options for providing Positive Response information to Indiana 811:
- Import Process – Typically reserved for Members who use a ticket management system. For setup information, please visit https://811.indiana811.org/api/external/positiveresponse.
- Manual Entry – Each user must have an Exactix account with their own email address. Accounts cannot be shared. Click here to initiate contact with Member Services to update your Membership.
Positive Response instructions and a short video, as well as other Exactix features, can be found here.
How many manual users can a Member Utility have to enter Positive Response?
There is no limit to the number of users able to enter Positive Response on the Members’ behalf. To add manual users, please click here to initiate contact with Member Services to update your Membership.
We have different departments that locate our different facility types. How does the Positive Response system handle this situation?
Indiana 811 can configure the Positive Response system in one of the following ways:
- By Service Area – If there is one facility type listed under your Service Area or if you would like to enter one response for all facility types (ex: Water, Sewer, Electric, etc.).
- By Utility Type – If multiple facility types are listed under your Service Area and you would like to enter a separate response for each type.
What are the Positive Response codes?
The current codes along with their descriptions can be found here. When an Excavator accesses the Responses through Exactix, they will be able to view the response along with the description. If you need to include additional information, please use the optional comment field which can also be viewed by the Excavator.
Who can see my response?
Only Excavators who have access to the locate request and the staff at Indiana 811 can view the responses.
Can I enter and view Positive Response on a mobile device?
Yes! You can enter and view Positive Response from a mobile phone or tablet.
Is there a cost to use the Positive Response system?
No, there is no cost to use Positive Response.
How can I get a better understanding on how to use Indiana 811’s Positive Response system?
We already have a ticket management system. Will this work with that?
Yes! For setup information, please visit https://811.indiana811.org/api/external/positiveresponse. You will need to request a password from Member Services.
Do I have the ability to edit my responses once I input them?
Yes, you can enter an updated response. All Responses and comments are recorded. The most recent response will be listed as Current in the Status column when viewing the Responses tab of the ticket.
Are Excavators, or the person responsible for the excavation, notified when Positive Response information is entered into Indiana 811’s system?
An email will be sent to the address listed on the ticket using the rules below:
- Immediately after all Members respond OR
- When the responses are due which is determined by the working day notice required by law
- If additional responses are entered after the original positive response email was sent, another email will be sent each time a response is entered
If the Member participates, the status information they provide will be included in the email. If they do not participate or have not entered a response at the time the email is sent, Has Not Responded will be listed.
Can I respond back to the response I see from the Member as an Excavator?
No, you cannot respond to a Positive Response code within the Exactix system. If you need to update information on a ticket or have questions regarding the Members’ markings or response, please call 811 or 800-382-5544.
Will I still see “OK” at the dig site if the proposed excavation area is clear of the Members’ facilities?
The Member may choose to stop notifying the Excavator in the manner used prior to participating in our Positive Response system. For example: The Member may not mark the dig site with an “OK” if the proposed excavation area is clear of their facilities.
As an Excavator, how do I see Positive Response for the tickets I submitted?
- If you have an Exactix Pro account, log in to see the status of your requests from the Service Areas or Responses tab from within the ticket.
- If you do not have an Exactix Pro account but want to see the status of a request, enter the ticket number and phone number using this tool then click on the Service Areas or Responses tab from within the ticket.